- loads of information about the geology of the river valley and the impact of the ice age
- history of the original native inhabitants of the valley and how they used it as a resource for their day to day lives
- information on the European explorers who first visited the area
- for more modern history, there were great photos and write ups on the glorious days of the paddle wheeler ships that took wealthy folk on river cruises. These vessels had huge ball rooms, great dining rooms and luxury accommodations and each ship tried to outdo the competition in its offering
- Poughkeepsie was the site of ice boat regattas for many years where the worlds best and fasted met to compete. There was a wonderful video of interviews of older folk who recalled the days of racing along the frozen river trying to keep up to or even pass the commuter trains that could reach speeds of 70 miles per hour
- Great info and pictures of all the Hudson River lighthouses and the women light keepers
Interestingly, all along the Hudson River, there were free pump our facilities (or just a nominal ~$2 fee), much like in Maine. As many of the boats in this area also boat along the Atlantic Coast and may well have been used to discharging waste overboard in the ocean, this is a very welcome service to ensure boaters do the right thing.